The International Competition of Young Dance Creators (Slovenia) calls for dancer-choreographers – deadline 12 April
The aim of this competition is to promote contemporary dance and discover fresh talents. Not to push for competitiveness, but rather to foster creativity of young dance creators.
The 12th International Competition of Young Dance Creators OPUS 1 – short dance piece 2021 (Slovenian National Theatre Celje, 25th June 2021) is open to dancers born between 1997 and 2005, who can apply with:
– A solo dance piece which is both conceived and choreographed by the performing dancer
– A duet, which is both conceived and choreographed by the performing dancers – shared authorship
Dancers who apply must reside outside of Slovenia. Dancers residing in Slovenia must reach the international competition through national contests.
Age groups and lengths of short dance pieces:
Group M (born between 2002 and 2005) – maximum 4 minutes;
Group L (born between 1997 and 2001) – maximum 7 minutes
The prizes will be awarded for:
– The Best short dance piece- dance performance and choreography (group M: EUR 300, group L: EUR 800)
– The Best idea (group M: EUR 150, group L: EUR 400)
– The Best dancer (group M: EUR 150, group L: EUR 400)
Apart from these awards, performers will also vie for the following:
– Dance studio Intakt and JSKD will select a young dance artist (only from group L), who will get a grant for producing a new dance project, which will be premiered at the OPUS 2022 and have a postproduction at the festival Platform of contemporary dance (artistic direction by Mojca Kasjak) in Maribor
– A young jury will select one short dance piece and award its performer with participation at dance classes and workshops at The International Summer Dance School in Ljubljana
– Matjaz Farič, artistic director of the International Contemporary Dance Festival Front@, will select dance pieces, which will be featured at the 16th edition of the Front@ festival, August 2021.
– price for participation on Israeli platform BRIA / CREATION platform (organized by MASH, artistic direction by Irad Avni) in Jerusalem in December 2021 (only for group L)
The deadline for applications is 12thApril 2021. The application must be submitted online until 12thApril 2021, 12.00 PM CET and is only complete if it includes a link to the dance piece which shall be presented at the competition.
There is no entrance fee. A curatorship will select young dance performers on the basis of the received videos to participate in the competition. The successful dancers will receive an invitation by 19th April 2021 at the latest. The competitors must confirm their appearance by 10th May 2021.
Please make sure that you read the rules and instructions and follow them to the letter. More information, photographs and videos of previous competitions can be found at: http://www.jskd.si/ples/prireditve_ples/opus/opus_19/english_opus_19.htm
If you have any questions concerning your application, please contact Nina Meško:
Tel.: 00 386 (0)1 24 10 522
Fax: 00 386 (0)1 24 10 510